Your heart is a pump that keeps blood moving around your body. It delivers oxygen and nutrients to all parts of your body, and carries away unwanted carbon dioxide and waste products.
Do you know your heart age?
It is important to have a healthy heart. Calculate your heart age online with this useful tool from Flora.
Heart disease may include a number of heart conditions or problems, such as angina, heart failure or abnormal heart rhythms. If you think that you may have a heart problem, you should speak to a doctor or medical practitioner.
Symptoms of a heart attack
Watch out for the following, but be aware that symptoms do vary from person to person:
- Heavy pressure, tightness, crushing pain or unusual discomfort in the centre of the chest.
- This may feel like indigestion, spread to shoulders, arms, neck or jaw and/or last for more than a few minutes. It may stop or weaken and then return.
- Sweating, sickness, faintness or shortness of breath may be experienced
- There may be a rapid, weak pulse
- Sharp stabbing pain in the left side of the chest is usually NOT heart pain
There’s lots you can do to keep your heart healthy, however old you are.
By eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly and being aware of risk factors such as smoking, drinking, drugs, high blood pressure, obesity, high cholesterol, diabetes and stress, you can do a lot to ensure that you keep yourself healthy.
The earlier you start in life, the better health you can expect to be in – so make sure that you encourage children and young people in heart-healthy habits from an early age.