Lemony brown rice
Brown rice has a delicious nutty flavour and is a much better carb choice as it has a slower release of energy and contains fibre. Although it cooks longer, it is well worth the wait – especially with this lemony flavour.
READY IN: 40 MINUTES
1 cup (250 ml) brown rice
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh parsley
1. Peel off 4 strips of lemon rind with a vegetable peeler, take care not to peel any white pith with it.
2. Squeeze out lemon juice and add with the rind, rice and salt to a pot with about
2½ cups (625 ml) water.
3. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer with a lid for 20-25 minutes or until cooked. Drain well. Stir in the parsley and
Serve a stew, mince dish or casserole on this rice instead of plain white rice. It is also great with a portion of fish or chicken. Add extra grated lemon rind, if preferred. Another starch is not necessary, so fill your plate with low-carb veggies or a salad.
1. Allow the rice to cool down completely and use as a base for a rice salad. Add any salad ingredients of your choice or add cooked chicken or lentils for a light meal.
2. Add peas or spinach to the rice or sprinkle toasted sunflower seeds over the rice before serving.
NUTRITIONAL INFO PER PORTION:
Energy 778 kj
Protein 3,7 g
Fat 1,3 g
Carbohydrates 37,3 g
Salt 0,5 g