"I should have known" - George Mabasa
On 22 June 2013, George Mabasa, a 39-year-old male was spending time with friends, when in an attempt to go to the bathroom, he was astonished to find his left leg unable to take a step. He felt it glued to the floor and noticed that he was sweating profusely.
Feeling embarrassed in front of his wife and friends, he ignored what was happening and dragged himself to his bedroom where a friend came along to help, jokingly admitting that he might have had a couple of whisky’s too many. Still in denial the next morning, George assured his wife that ‘he is perfect’ and that she shouldn’t be worried over ‘nothing’.
He still couldn’t move his leg and couldn’t feel his left arm. By the following morning, George finally relented and asked his wife to take him to the hospital where it was confirmed that he had suffered a stroke.
“I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I felt so embarrassed and disappointed at myself for two reasons; one, because I should have known better about lifestyle diseases as I work in the wellness industry, and secondly, that I didn’t act in time on the Saturday night to get help, solely because I didn’t know what was happening to me.”
A diagnosis of stroke always comes as a shock since majority of people think “that will never happen to me”, therefore people are less likely to know about things they think will never affect them. This highlights the need for awareness, access and action!